Before seeking assistance, you should
- Know Your Rights. Helpful brief explanations from the Florida Bar: https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/tip006/
- Certain Federal Benefits Cannot Be Garnished in Most Circumstances: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0114-garnishing-federal-benefits
- Tenants Have Rights Too: https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/tip014/
- Dispute the Debt: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/consumer-tools/debt-collection/
- Fix your credit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0058-credit-repair-how-help-yourself
- Use the free National Do Not Call Service. Go to donotcall.gov or call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236) from the phone you want to register. If you register your number at donotcall.gov, you’ll get an email with a link you need to click on within 72 hours to complete your registration.
- Protect Your Private Information: Federal and State Laws control which types of private or personally identiable information a business or organization can collect about you, and the situations where it is proper and improper to do so. More information can be found here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0222-privacy-choices-your-personal-financial-information
If the bill collector or debt collector still harasses you after taking these steps, please call me to discuss your options for relief.
Debt Defense videos from the National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA):
NCLC Suriving Debt link:
If someone tries to take away your Social Security, VA Disability Compensation, or Pension, the law may protect you.